18 Day Challenge

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Family Meal Planning

One of the most frequent questions I get asked with following the Shake Days for Life meal plan is how I can make the food for myself and feed my family at the same time--while staying on a reasonable budget.
It CAN be done. I will share some of my recipes here and tell how I alter for my family so you are not doing double duty cooking.
We have spaghetti almost weekly...my kids love it!
I make up spaghetti sauce:
1.5 lbs of lean beef, bison is great, or turkey (remember you want extra protein so extra meat it is)
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1 8 oz tomato paste
2 cans of water
Seasonings to taste: garlic, onion powder, basil, oregano, sometimes I add a bay leaf and let it simmer awhile and remove before eating.

Spaghetti squash:
Oven Method: cut in half, poke holes with fork, lay both halves face down in pan with about 1/2 inch water... bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.
Microwave Method: Cut in half, poke holes with fork, lay half face down in microwave safe pan, microwave approx 15 minutes.
I have found if you poke holes and microwave about 2-3 mins before cutting, it makes it easier to cut through.

Then for the kids I serve their sauce over noodles with the squash on the side. I usually give them breadsticks too and have a green salad.
One of my favorite dressings is to just sprinkle a bit of red wine vinegar or balsamic and spray olive oil using my Misto
http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432175507&sr=8-1&keywords=misto.

Easy, yummy, healthy and inexpensive! More recipes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment